VEGAN CHEESE SAUCE
‘But I’m going to miss cheese’ - it’s one of the things you hear most often when people talk about considering a plant based diet. Well you’re in luck. There are now plenty of cheese alternatives, some that can be purchased, many more that can be made at home. This fully loaded cheese sauce makes no exception - all the cheese flavour, 100% plant based. Of course, this sauce is not only for those on a vegan diet, but equally if you are simply dairy intolerant, you may want to give this a try too.
This sauce is great for nachos, mac & cheese, drizzled over sweet potatoes ... the possibilities are endless.
See notes under the recipe.
MAKES: ABOUT 300ml
TIME: 10 minutes (plus soaking time for cashews)
1 cup cashew nuts (soaked overnight in cold water, or soaked for 30 minutes in boiling water)
1 cup cooked carrots
1 tbsp Miso paste
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp onion granules
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp smoked paprika
salt & pepper
1 cup non-dairy milk
1. Rinse the cashews.
2. Place all the ingredients except the milk in a food processor. Add half the milk. Blend until all ingredients are fully combined.
3. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add the rest of the milk and blend again until the sauce has a smooth and creamy texture.
1. The sauce will last for up to 7 days in a sealed container in the fridge (handy to make ahead for Mac & Cheese). Some of the water may separate so give it a good stir before using it again.
2. The sauce can also be frozen. Defrost in the fridge or at room temperature and stir well before using.
3. You can use butternut squash instead of carrots.
Like this recipe? Why not pin it to your Pinterest board.